2014 marks the debut of the Maureen Kovacs Fund, arising from a generous donation by Dr. Maureen Kovacs. It will offer funds for Assyriologists doing post-doctoral research no later than five years after being awarded their doctorate. It will subsidize the costs of a project related to their research up to 1000 Euros, whether for travel expenses, acquisition of research material, or some other necessity approved by the applicant’s supervisor. Any IAA member who is eligible may apply, and the decision about the proposal will be made by a committee of three persons appointed by the Board of the IAA.
Applications should reach the IAA office (see address below), no later than March 1st.
Please observe the rules and regulations for this grant:
1. The Maureen Kovacs Fund for cuneiform studies subsidizes projects of a limited duration carried out by advanced students and scholars new to the field within five years after obtaining their doctoral degree.
2. The application consists of the application form and three appendices, a succinct description of the proposed project, a written letter of support from the applicant’s supervisor as well as a specified budget.
3.The subsidy will cover the costs of a project up to €1,000.
4. A sum lower than €1,000 may be applied for.
5. Applicants must be members of the IAA.
1. The committee, which will be selected by the IAA Board, shall consist of three persons, all of whom must be members of the IAA.
2. The committee members will serve for three years, after which a new committee will be chosen.
1. Applications should be sent to the IAA Office in Leiden no later than March 1. The office shall then forward them to the committee members before March 10.
2. The three or four members of the committee will evaluate the applications and make a preliminary ranking.
3. The committee will submit its selection report to the IAA Board no later than June 1.
4. During the following Rencontre the conclusions will be discussed at the Board meeting.
5. The subsidies will be awarded during the General Meeting.
Please send your application to:
International Association for Assyriology
c/o Prof. Dr. W.H. van Soldt
P.O. Box 9515
2300 RA Leiden